In 2009, the City of Oceanside adopted the Coast Highway Vision and Strategic Plan. This plan serves as a blueprint for the revitalization and enhancement of the Coast Highway corridor between Harbor Drive in the north and Buena Vista Lagoon in the south. The Vision and Strategic Plan includes several recommendations to transform Coast Highway from an auto-oriented thoroughfare into a “complete street” that serves all modes of transportation from automobiles to pedestrians to bicyclists and transit vehicles.
The City of Oceanside is now embarking on an effort to study and begin the design process for the street enhancements and changes proposed as part of the Vision and Strategic Plan. This effort, called the Coast Highway Corridor Study, will assess existing and future transportation conditions along the corridor and on surrounding streets in order to identify the preferred approach to implementing the recommendations contained in the Coast Highway Vision and Strategic Plan.
The study effort will focus on assessing projects that are consistent with the Vision and Strategic Plan and address the needs of the community through:
1. Improving pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure with a focus on safety and comfort
2. Enhancing access to transit
3. Modifying the roadway with improvements such as roundabouts to improve traffic flow
4. Improving parking access to businesses along the corridor
5. Encouraging economic development through improvements in mobility and the public streetscape